Sunday, December 4, 2011

Inflexibility

Today was a yoga day according to my P90X schedule.  I gave up on using the P90X yoga disc a few weeks ago because the workout is too long and is too advanced for me.  I've actually been surprised by how inflexible I am.  I might be able to touch my toes, but it would be tough.  If I'm sitting down, I can't sit cross-legged with comfort and I'd be hard pressed to get within a couple of inches of my toes in a sit-and-reach.  I'm able to do it standing because gravity helps.  Heh.

My parents gave me a beginner's yoga disc a couple of years ago so I use that one instead.  I feel very relaxed and centered after using it, but still a little frustrated since, while it's good to be strong, you can't access that strength if you're inflexible.  Ask a meathead bodybuilder to make his forearms parallel to the floor.  Now ask him to rotate his shoulders so his arms are above his heads keeping the same angle between fore and upper arm.  He probably can't do it.

Anyhow, I think the solution is for me to do yoga more frequently or maybe to warm up a bit before I do it.  I'm really concerned that my hips are inflexible since I had arthritis there when I was in second grade.  It was explained to me that I was growing too fast, but one more I woke up and I couldn't make my legs move.  I could feel them, but couldn't rotate at the hips.  It was a huge barrel of laughs.

Hmmm... maybe biking or some track work could open those bad boys up.

No comments: