Sunday, January 8, 2012

Paleo cooking

Last night I made biscuits and gravy from a recipe from my Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook.  I think the sausage gravy turned out well, but the biscuits were a little weird.  My biggest problem with gluten-free living is that GF baked goods don't taste as expected.  They aren't bad per se, but are lacking something.  If I mention the word "biscuit" you probably think of something light and creamy.  These were made from almond meal and amaranth flour and so were fairly dense, almost like muffins.

Einkorn wheat is ancient wheat and may not have many of the bad properties of modern wheat, but it still has gluten in it so I'm a bit torn on it.  I think my current plan is to allow myself to make one dish, which could fuel many meals, with einkorn wheat flour or pasta per month.  I think it would end up being three or four meals which is less than 5%.  I don't think I'm allergic to gluten so it should be ok and it should help satisfy my craving for pancakes, cornbread, rolls, etc.  I guess I'll have to see how it goes.

2 comments:

postyum said...

Gluten free baking has definitely given me so-so results, too. I need to buy some einkorn and try that.

I don't think I can mentally commit to strict paleo because apparently that also excludes quinoa and brown rice...that just seems too extreme.

Jeremy said...

I think I would give the einkorn wheat a shot periodically to satisfy your wheat cravings. The gluten-free stuff just doesn't lead to a tasty texture.

I think Jovial Foods is the only supplier of einkorn, but you can find them at Whole Paycheck as well as online.