Monday, August 9, 2010

50 Questions that will free your mind

Continuing to answer 50 Questions:

#5: What is the one thing you'd most like to change about the world?

Ah, finally a more interesting question.  I'd like to be able to convince everyone to be happy with what they have.  I think greed is going to kill this world and it's definitely killing the American spirit.  I can understand wanting to have nice stuff, but when it does it end?  Are we going to be happy because of a bunch of stuff?  Doubtful.  Accumulating stuff will eventually lead to an empty feeling in your soul because you'll never be fulfilled because you can never have everything.  We should be happy enjoying others' companies and should be fulfilled by working hard and making a difference.  

Think back on a time when you were truly happy.  Was it because you bought something?  Or was it a great weekend hiking, a trip to Europe or getting married?  Of course, it takes money to do those three, but people should think positively if they don't have much money and should scale their expectations.  I'm not making a "little people" comment, but if you're not rich, don't worry about not being able to jet off to Europe.  Instead, plan out a car trip to the beach.  People should continuously work hard, but should temper their expectations.  

My parents did alright when I was growing up, but our vacations were always in-state rather than around the world like where a good friend went.  I once found myself jealous of all the countries he visited, but then realized I used to look forward to our in-state vacation every summer.  We'd play cards, eat good food, go hiking, go biking, go swimming, ogle the women at the pool... I made a lot of great memories there and wish I could go back this summer.  Heck, I'm starting to get nostalgic just thinking about it.  Would I have that reaction if I were unhappy there?

The point is life is what you make of it.  You should firstly focus on your health and then evaluate your finances.  If you don't have a lot of money, it's ok because there are plenty of free activities.  You can always go hiking or go to the park if you have kids.  You can bring a soccer ball or a baseball or a book.  You'll get some fresh air and some exercise.  If the weather stinks, stay inside and put together a puzzle or play some card or board games.  Also, keep the TV off as much as possible since advertising is designed to create a need out of a want.  No one is immune since advertisers apply fundamental psychological techniques.

I wonder how much crime originates from greed or covetousness.

No comments: