Saturday, April 27, 2013

Boxing

I had my first boxing lesson last night and it was awesome.  I feel a bit stupid for not going there sooner, but my first impression it was a gym for meatheads.  The reality is quite a bit different.  Sweeney's is in my neighborhood, clean and well-equipped.  I got a free introductory lesson last night.  The owner wrapped my hands had my start out on the speed bag.  You do 15 rounds of activities with three minutes on and one minute of rest.  You work through the speed bag, the heavy bag, the agility bags, rope jumping and mitt work.  I learned how to stand and what "jab," "hook," etc. are.

I was pretty jacked after my workout because it's a great way to relieve stress and tension.  I just pictured some of my more annoying coworkers' faces on the bags and punched away.  I'm a little sore this morning, but nothing serious.

I can get 12 more similar lessons for $200 which is a great deal and you get a pair of wraps for free.  After 12 lessons, most people switch to a $50/month plan for unlimited access, but no mitt work.  I found mitt work to be the most fun so I'll see if there is a way to get some in now and then.  I had originally planned to do the 12 lessons and then get my own equipment, but now I realize I enjoy the social aspect and $50/month is covered by half my raise so it's all good.

No comments: