Sunday, October 26, 2008

Afternoon at Half Moon Bay

Yesterday Tara and I went to Half Moon Bay for the afternoon. We were supposed to leave before lunch, but she had some work to finish up. No worries since the ocean would still be there.

On the way there we hit some traffic on Hwy 92 with people going to the beach and more people hittin' pumpkin patches in anticipation for Halloween. We got there hungry so we hit this cafe for lunch. The food was just ok and the service was not very good, but it's all good. Then we hit what I thought was a kite store. It turns out that it's more of a tourist/toy store than a kite store. They happened to sell kites despite the name "Lunar Wind Inventions." I didn't see any kites I liked, but we got a couple of plastic buckets and shovels.

We drove a short ways to Poplar Beach. You can park there for free and there are Port-a-Potty toilets. The sand was smooth, but the water was ice cold. We threw a frisbee around for a bit and then tried to build a sand castle, but the sand wasn't quite wet enough to stay in place so we sat on the beach listening to the ocean. I thought I had put on enough sunblock, but apparently I missed a few spots so I got a little burned.

Once the sun started to go down, we went back to the Peninsula and hit up this place called Jeffrey's for dinner. It has a stupid name, but is definitely a place worth going to. It's an old-fashioned burger joint that a co-worker told me about, but one that I had yet to try. You order at the counter and then they bring your food out. They have a toppings bar so you can fix up your burger to your satisfaction. They'll even cook your burger to your preference. The milkshakes are good too and the prices aren't bad.

Not a bad way to spend a Saturday and it was pretty warm there even though it's nearly the end of October. I can see why many people want to live in the Bay Area.

No comments: