Sunday, April 8, 2012

Track work

A colleague told me about a 5k trail run, Dodge the Deer, going down this month.  It's in less than two weeks so I thought I would hit the track to get some work in so I'm not doing the race cold turkey.  It's only 3.1 miles so I could walk or jog it if I had to, but I'm too competitive to go out like that.

My intention was to jog a warm up lap, do six laps of sprinting the straights and jogging the curves and then I would finish up with a cool down lap.  My strength and breath training is working because I was able to sort of follow my plan, but not at the desired pace.  The important thing is I got out there and got some work in in this beautiful weather.  I used my barefoot shoes and running in them really works your calves.

Here's a graph of my speed and heart rate:
The strange spike downward is when I had to tie my shoe.

I'll see if I can do this track work three more times before the race, but it still gets dark fairly early and school is in session.  I think going even one more time would help.

No comments: