Monday, July 16, 2012

Drop Dead Healthy by AJ Jacobs

I wanted to like this book and it has a nice premise - the author attempts to become the world's healthiest man.  It's a pipe dream, but he gives it the college try over two years.  The book is more a survey of bits and pieces of health advice, but it lacks a coherent theme.  I think listening to anyone and everyone is not the most effective way to go about it.

What turned me off is the constant name dropping - "my Sony TV" instead of just "my TV or "a pair of blue Nike shorts" instead of just "a pair of shorts".  He lives in NYC so you know he has some scratch so why is he a brand whore?  He also writes in a bit too much about his personal life.  There are some lame attempts at comedy and I chuckled a bit, but nothing noteworthy.

I don't want to come across too harshly because health is important to me as well, but the book felt more like a gimmick.

I recommend it only if you get it from your local library.

No comments: