Friday, July 17, 2009

Fun at the DMV

I have to get a NY driver's license and register my car here so I left work after lunch figuring I'd have enough time to get it done and to hustle over to Bethlehem town hall to apply for a STAR tax exemption (you get a slight reduction). Of course, there is only one DMV office (!) for the entire county/city of Albany. One freakin' office for hundreds of thousands of people. There was a long line and only one dude working the counter. They finally got another person up there which moved the line along faster. I got my number, sat down and waited... and waited... and waited. Finally I got called up to present my identifying documents. Then I got another number. I sat down and waited... and waited... and waited. They called me up and I got a new license and registered my car. It wasn't a huge hassle except for the waiting.

While I was waiting, I did some people watching. The average Albany resident is fat and white trash. One woman spent the entire time bitchin' about the wait and how the numbers they called up didn't make any sense. I think it's tougher for stupid people because they can't process the situation as efficiently to figure out what's going on. All they know is that they have to wait and it sucks. There was a little kid there with his grandparents and he was bitchin' the whole time too. He had terrible posture and is going to be the Hunchback of Notre Dame pretty quickly. His grandmother told him he had to wait some more and he got up, said, "I'm out of here" and started to walk towards the door. She called him back, but still. Where the heck did he think he was going? They had to wait because his grandfather wasn't smart enough to know what to bring by looking it up online.

Anyhow, I didn't make it to town hall so I'll have to do that next week.

No comments: