Thursday, December 16, 2010

50 questions that will free your mind

Continuing to answer 50 Questions:

#6: If happiness [were] the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?

I'm the happiest when I'm making something tangible. I think I went into engineering because I like to make stuff. Lego bricks were my favorite toys growing up and I also liked putting stuff together. I was pretty good at math and solving equations, but I also preferred applying those equations. A lot of people ask about the difference between applied physics (my PhD is in applied physics) as opposed to regular physics and I tell them that applied physics is generally in the engineering school and is just what it advertises. The goal is not just to learn how stuff works, but to learn how to make stuff work. Anyhow, I think I could become "rich" being a carpenter or contractor or whatever if I get to produce something real and something people could enjoy.

No comments: