Friday, December 31, 2010

Jerked chicken

Tonight's dinner was jerked chicken.  I got the recipe from the chicken cookbook my mom sent me a couple of months ago.  It was tender, juicy and tasty.  I definitely recommend this recipe and I'll make it again, probably for my Super Bowl party.

The recipe:
10 thin scallions (white and tender green parts), coarsely chopped
1 Scotch bonnet or habanero chile, seeded and coarsely chopped
2T distilled white wine vinegar
1T fresh thyme leaves
3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
1.25t ground allspice
1t salt
0.5t ground pepper
10 chicken drumsticks (3.5lbs)

In a food processor or blender, pulse everything, but the chicken until it forms a thick paste.  Transfer the paste to a large bowl, add the chicken and toss to coat.  Let stand for 10 minutes.

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the broiler on high.  Line the bottom of a broiler pan with foil and replace the perforated top part of the pan.  Oil the pan or coat with cooking spray.  Arrange the chicken on the broiler pan.  Season generously on all sides with salt [optional in my opinion].

Broil the chicken in the center of the oven, turning once after about 10 minutes, until fully cooked and nicely browned in spots, about 20 minutes total.  Transfer to a platter and serve.

This recipe makes 85 so just 15 to go towards my challenge.

No comments: