Saturday, December 12, 2009

Environmentalism

Since moving back to NY and buying a house, I've been more conscious of how my decisions and purchases affect the environment.

I help the environment by:
  • Recycling as much as I can
  • Composting as much as I can
  • Buying products in minimal packaging or in glass
  • Bringing a silicone hot pad to work so I don't need to use 8 million paper towels after heating my lunch up
  • Bringing a hand towel to work so I don't need to use 8 million paper towels in the bathroom
  • Using a programmable thermostat
  • Buying products that are organic, natural or chemical free whenever possible
  • Unplugging major electronics when not in use
  • Using compact fluorescent or LED bulbs
  • Shopping at the farmer's market when it's open
  • Using a Brita pitcher at home and at work instead of drinking bottled water
  • Buying energy efficient electronics
  • Layering instead of turning up the heat
  • Driving defensively to improve fuel economy
  • Bringing my lunch to work in a cooler instead of a plastic bag or container
  • Using paper or cloth bags at the grocery store
  • Using baking soda + water for shampoo and cider vinegar + water for conditioner
  • Using solar powered lights for the end of my driveway
However, I can still do much, much more by:
  • Biking more including to work
  • Eating less meat
  • Eating less processed food
  • Buying less stuff
  • Taking shorter showers
  • Increasing the insulation in my house
  • Replacing older appliances
  • Watching less TV and/or fewer movies
Any other suggestions?

No comments: