Saturday, December 10, 2011

Cooking with coconut oil

After reading the article on saturated fat, I ordered up 108 oz of coconut oil from Amazon.  I tried it out Thursday morning when I used it to fry up an egg and then I used it again this morning with some scrambled eggs.  The stuff is pretty interesting as it's solid in the container, but melts quite quickly.  It has a very strong coconut smell which I don't care for, but the taste isn't quite as strong.  It's a little overpowering so I might reserve it for baking.  It does have a creamy taste and is rich so it might take your digestive track some time to get used to it.

I like this brand since it is organic and hexane free.  Hexane is a long carbon chain and somehow the food industry has convinced the USDA that anything with carbon can be considered organic.  While that statement is true in the chemical sense, it's not really in the spirit of "organic" food.  Read your labels people and do your research because a lot of companies make their money by effin' you over.

Apparently, you can also use coconut oil for hair and skin care so maybe I'll try that out.

Butter is high in saturated fat as well, but the most healthful kind comes from pastured cows and that can be tough to get.  I think I like using butter better for my scrambled eggs so I may do a half and half mix.

The article also mentioned that palm oil is nearly as good for you as coconut oil.  Amazon has this vegetable shortening and this red palm oil that I think I'll try out when I'm less poor.  Those who know me well know I love a challenge and I'm trying to see how healthful I can eat while not overly reducing the variety of my diet.  Cooking involves a lot of experimentation and is a good way to spend my time.

Disclaimer: I am the proud owner of four shares of Amazon stock so I tend to buy most of my stuff from there when I can.  Feel free to shop around and let me know if you find better deals elsewhere.

1 comment:

ezra smith said...

Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just too wonderful. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is actually a tremendous site.
coconut oil hair treatment