Saturday, June 12, 2010

Road trip: Day 9

I managed to get up and at 'em pretty early yesterday.  I headed up the hill to Vulcan Park to get some exercise.  They have a short, paved path that I walked down and back and then I walked around to the main entrance to check out the rest of the park.  The statue wasn't open so I hopped a fence and took a shortcut back to the sidewalk since I didn't feel like going around the long way.  There were a fair number of people out and about since the path is shaded.  It also offers some nice views of the city.

I came back to my friend's place and then drove to Ruffner Mountain which has about 11 miles of trails.  I probably walked/hiked 6 or 7 of those 11 and worked up a serious sweat.  There were a lot of kids there and they were surprised to see someone sweat that much.  Heh.  I can't help it.  I sweat a lot anyhow and it was hot and humid out.  It was great exercise though.

I came back for a shower and then hit Dreamland BBQ for a late lunch.  Their ribs were just ok, but the sauce was really good.  They had the World Cup on so I watched a bit of France-Uruguay.  Then I drove to the Civil Rights Institute and walked around there for more than an hour.  It's a pretty powerful place and it's amazing to think that things were very different just 50 years ago.  Some might argue they haven't changed that much, but at least we don't have separate entrances for coloreds.

I hung out waiting for my friend to get back from work.  We couldn't really decide where to eat so we hit up another BBQ place, Miss Myra's Pit Bar B Q.  I got chicken there and it was great.  We hit up the mall nearby to watch The Karate Kid.  I don't know why it wasn't called The Kung Fu Kid, but it was much better than expected and had a healthy amount of ass-kicking.

Picture vomit:













































No comments: