Sunday, August 31, 2008

Beefcake Challenge: End of Week 35

Day 243:
Weight = 191.2 lbs (+0.6 lbs)

Body fat = 27.7 % (+0.8 %)

Visceral fat = 9 (no change)

Resting metabolism = 1841 kCal (+0 kCal)

I didn't get too much exercise in the past couple of weeks, especially this past week due to work. I was able to play basketball Thursday night though. After weighing myself this morning, I headed over to Fremont High School for some fartlek. The high school is less than two miles away, but I won't be going back there again. They have a track, but it's just a thin layer of dirt and sand and there are no lane markings or any other markings. I jogged a warm-up lap and then sprinted what I thought was close to 100 m four times. I was only fast on the first one since I walked back and sprinted again without any rest. I had hoped to do at least five iterations, but I didn't want to give myself a heart attack. It was also the hardest I've run in nearly two months so it's ok. I don't need to or expect to get into shape all at once anyhow. I walked a cool-down lap and then came home. I'll check out Homestead High School in Cupertino next week. Cupertino has more money so maybe they have a better track.

The good news is that my knees held up just fine. My right knee is a little sore, but that's from an injury in college. I think I'm finally starting to break up the scar tissue. I'll hit the sports chiropractor in September to see about getting everything aligned and to get my joints strong.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bro' - That's good to hear that your knees are holding up. That track sounds like a country-bumpkin model. I windsprinted a while ago on grass and it felt much better.
There is definitely no getting in shape right away but if you stick with the program, you will find large progress spread out over time through small increments. You know this, though.

Jeremy said...

Yeah, I guess I could've sprinted on the grass, but it didn't look very even and I don't want to break an ankle in a gopher hole.

I hope to find a good track with some spring in it.

I definitely think that I can make good progress if I stick with the program. I think I was just surprised that I couldn't do more. That's ok. I read that if you can do more than 7 hardcore windsprints with little to no rest in between then you're either an Olympic athlete or you're not running hard enough.