Friday, May 20, 2011

2011 CDPHP Workforce Team Challenge

Last night I participated in the CDPHP Workforce Team Challenge along with with 20+ colleagues. I think the announced participation was something around 9300 people. It sure seemed like a lot and it took nearly 15 minutes to get everyone across the starting line.

The course is 3.5 miles long (about 5km for my international readers) and has some uphill component. It started at Empire Plaza and winds its way through downtown Albany as shown in the map generated by my GPS watch:
I'm not much of a distance runner, but my goal was to beat 30 minutes. I started off with a good pace between 7 and 8 minute miles, but could not maintain it. I had hoped to run the whole way, but ended up walking about half a mile near the end because my calves were barking. I was able to finish strongly and beat 34 minutes which isn't bad considering my fitness level. I think the winner was around 17 minutes so I obviously have some work to put in before I challenge for supremacy.

I also got to meet some of my colleagues from our fab up in Malta which is always good. They're good people and we met up at a sports bar afterwards for pizza and beer. We also got team shirts and hats and the race provided a participation t-shirt and tote bag. Not a bad haul and a great way to spend a Thursday night.

I was a little sore after the race, but I felt good this morning. It's mainly my calves which are sore so I really need to get back on the track with my barefoot shoes to strengthen them up. If I'm in town next year, I will definitely participate.

The dip in my heart rate below shows when I walked.

No comments: