Sunday, May 8, 2011

Track work

It's a beautiful day out so I hit the track this morning for an interval workout. I also tried out my new Merrell "barefoot" shoes. The idea is you'll strengthen your legs more if you run barefoot since you'll run up on the balls of your feet. That claim is definitely true because there is no heel cushion so you pretty much have to. It's fine for sprinting, but most of let our heels touch when we jog so it was a little weird "sprinting" slowly.

It was my first real exercise since getting my head cold so I did one warm up lap, six "sprint"/walk laps and one cool down lap. I went 2.11 miles with an average heart rate of 141bpm and burned 276kCal. Not too shabby. It's supposed to be nice for most of this week so I'll try to go again during the week. I'll have to check the high school's track and field schedule.

My calves are pretty sore so it was definitely a workout and I can see why they suggest you start out slowly until you get used to "barefoot" running. These shoes were recommended by my friend and they worked well for me this first time out.

No comments: