Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day weekend

I had hoped to go somewhere outside of NY for this year's Memorial Day weekend, but I'm going to OR and HI soon so I drove down to Beacon to visit some friends yesterday morning.  We drove over to the Bob Dylan Fest at the Warwick Winery.  It was cool.  The weather cooperated and the music was pretty good.  Some of the bands played their own stuff for a song, but it was mostly Dylan.  My favorite band was the Reddan Brothers because they were the heaviest.

I had a tasty pulled pork sandwich and a bunch of hard cider so I had a nice buzz going on.  I wore my Five Fingers so I got a lot of looks and questions.

It was hot and humid so people were trying to sit in the shade:

 My friends' dog, Oscar, tried to get some pizza:
 There was a great crowd:
I had a great time and will try to hit their Johnny Cash fest in August.  I'll bring my chair and a hat next time and more cash.

We hit Isamu for dinner and had decent Japanese/Chinese food with terrible service.

This morning, my friend, his friend and I hiked up Mt. Beacon.  I took my portable GPS, but forgot to turn on tracking so I don't have any cool graphs to post unfortunately.  It was a 4.96 mile hike and we were able to maintain a moving average of 2.4mph.  I tried out my hiking poles for the first time and I think they worked well.  My knees feel pretty good and 5 miles was exactly what I needed for my first hike of the season.

We hiked up towards the Mt. Beacon reservoir and followed a stream for about half the hike:
 Me at the top, near the firetower, throwing my trademark Blood gang sign:
I definitely need to get a hair cut.

No comments: