Sunday, May 22, 2011

Straight razor shaving

I have really thick hair which leads to razor bumps after I shave.  They look like big pimples, are a bit painful and can lead to scarring (I also scar easily).  I thought using an electric razor would help, but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick so I'm looking into straight razor shaving.  A lot of people assume you'll cut your windpipe, but you don't cut your finger off when you cut steak do you?  It's all about preparation and care.

My morning routine is already pretty long thanks to exercising and my love of long, hot showers so adding another 20 minutes for a good shave a couple of times a week isn't going to kill me.  I found a great resource online - Chris Moss' The Art of the Straight Razor Shave.  He gives clear and concise instructions while acknowledging that not all of us are going to drop $500 on an antique straight razor (I'm looking at you, hipsters).

However, I am going to need some supplies so I'll need to save up some money:

  • Straight razor
  • Water heater since hot water is essential and it's easier to boil it than to get it from the tap
  • Leather/linen strop
  • Shaving bowl
  • Styptic pencil for the aftermath
  • Shaving cream
  • Post shave stuff
  • Honing stone though I may just send the razor out for professional sharpening
I already have a nice badger hair brush and some shaving soap.  The author prefers cream to soap, but I'll use up my soap first.

I also learned that I've been shaving improperly with my double edged razor.  He suggests at least two passes - one with the grain and more than one against the grain.  I usually just do one pass - bad monkey!

I think I need to start taking better care of myself.  I'm not going metrosexual, but there's nothing wrong with looking good.

No comments: