Sunday, April 29, 2012

Track work

I've got a 3.5 mile race in 2.5 weeks and I've been feeling slow so I hit the track this morning for some interval training.  It's sunny out, but not that warm.  Fortunately, I've accumulated some warmer athletic gear though I may need to get a running cap.

Anyhow, I did my usual thing - jog one lap, six laps of sprint-jog-sprint-jog and then one cool down lap.  I was able to sprint the straights, but didn't have enough juice to jog all the curves.  I finished though and feel pretty good so my mission was accomplished.

A coworker of mine was there training for a triathlon.  I guess there isn't much else to do around here other than work and workout so I'm not surprised.  He was there with a woman who I thought was his wife so I felt bad for checking her ass out, but it turns out she's his trainer.  She asked why I was there and I said I'm trying to be less of a fatass (I'm usually self-deprecating).  She then scoffed that she doubted I was ever a fat ass, but I told her I used to be 30 lbs heavier and those who follow my fitness updates know the truth.  The past is the past and I'm not going to let myself get to that point again.

Here is what my GPS watch recorded:
The speed is a little uneven because there was a fairly stiff breeze in one direction.  I was able to keep my heart rate up in a good zone so I'm sure I burned off a couple of pieces of candy.

My legs are less sore this time because I used my regular running shoes rather than my barefoot trail shoes.  I'm tempted to get a new pair of running shoes which are lighter than what I have now, but not all the way to barefoot shoes as I'm having trouble making the transition to barefoot running.  Any suggestions?

No comments: