Thursday, April 12, 2012

War Room by Michael Holley

This book was highly recommended by sportswriter Peter King.  I'm a big football fan and a big fan of trying to get the root cause of things that are perhaps not scientific in nature.  This book deals with evaluating football players which is tricky because football is a system-oriented team game.

The first part of the book deals with Bill Belichick and how he got into coaching.  I actually disliked this part of the book because Belichick rubs me the wrong way.  I'm not convinced he cheated, but he comes across as arrogant.  However, he has been quite successful and has hired a lot of talented folk.

I became more interested in the book as its focus turned to Pioli and Dimitroff, two Belichick disciples.  Pioli is now GM of the Chiefs and Dimitroff is GM of the Falcons.  Holley has inside information on the business process of these two talent evaluators and you learn about the method behind their madness.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of (American) football.

No comments: