Thursday, November 13, 2008

Fried food

I've got a nice deep fryer so I thought I would put it to use tonight. I've got a fryer cookbook and it has a recipe for Greek pastries. You take 9 oz of feta cheese and mash it up with black pepper, chopped mint, oregano, thyme and an egg. You get some phyllo dough, slice it into long thin strips, put a spoonful of cheese stuff and then fold it up like a triangle. You're supposed to be able to seal the edges, but that didn't happen for me. Maybe I should've coated the edges with egg instead of oil.

The recipe says it should make 24 pastries, but I only got 12. I guess I put too much stuff into each one. Oh well.

I fried them up at 370 F for about 10 minutes, flipping them over in the fryer because they wouldn't stay submerged. They don't look like much, but they actually taste pretty good. The pastry absorbed a lot of oil though. Maybe that's why they taste good.

1 comment:

irishkimchee said...

hmmm... looks yummy. kind of like spanokopita without the spinach.
thanks for listening last night.