Sunday, November 2, 2008

Saturday in the rain

Despite fairly heavy rain, Tara and I made plans to get out and get some exercise. She lives in Los Altos so we decided to do the Los Altos-Palo Alto bike path. She ran while I rode my BMX bike (DK Fury, pictured in my dining area drying off).

The path winds through Los Altos behind people's backyards and ends at Hanover just south of Stanford. We continued on to the Stanford campus. I guess it was something like four miles in each direction so Tara got a good run in while I got a pretty easy bike ride. However my BMX bike is pretty effin' heavy and has just one gear so it wasn't as easy as eight miles on a road bike. I also got some strange looks at Stanford because I was rockin' a helmet and had my socks pulled up to keep my shins dry.

We then hit Stacks in Menlo Park for a late breakfast. There was a big ass crowd, but we name-dropped one of Tara's friends to score a big booth to ourselves. My omelet was just ok so I'm not sure what the fuss is, but I have bad luck with breakfast places so perhaps my opinion no longer counts.

Later that night I hit Shoreline Billiards for pool night with the Yahoo Group. It was my third event with the group and I had fun despite sucking. I mix in flashes of brilliance with utter crap. I think the unpredictability is worst part for me. However, each event has been held at a different pool hall so I haven't been on the same tables or used the same cues twice. I'm tempted to get my own, but I don't want to look like a poser. It would be nice to have one though. I'll get some when I get a table for my new place. I'm also going to see if I can check out some pool instructional books from the library. One dude at the event swore that's he got good. He also has his own table which makes it much easier to practice what you read. Once I get mine, I'll play every day for sure. I could definitely play while watching football.

In any case, the people at the group are nice and don't really care how much I or others suck so it's all good.

No comments: