Saturday, July 24, 2010

Fitness update


I measured my body composition nearly every day this week and I think I made good progress as shown from the two graphs. I added a new graph with my body fat over time. You can see the summer of 2008 was when I made the most rapid progress.

I've been eating healthily this week and have been consistent with my exercise. I started riding the exercise bike again, but I haven't been pushing myself because I want to ease into it to strengthen my knees. I would rather ride my real bike, but the weather hasn't cooperated.

I found an interesting article online about weight loss. The article is not particularly well-written, but the point seems to be solid. Weight loss isn't always about calories in minus calories out since you need to factor in body type, age, sex and most importantly, metabolic rate. You use energy just sittin' around, but how much depends on how fit you are. If you just cut your intake, you may not lose fat pounds because your body would much rather burn something else than its fat stores which are for emergencies.

I need to be more active to boost my metabolic rate which means more sports since I have a sedentary job.

No comments: