Sunday, July 11, 2010

Snowy Mountain hike

I went hiking again yesterday, but this time we drove up to the Adirondacks to do a bit longer hike.  We chose Snowy Mountain and it was a good choice.  The weather looked crappy when we left, but it didn't rain at all while we were hiking.  It wasn't as hot as the past couple of weekends, but it was pretty humid.  There were also a lot of black flies at the top.  I was covered pretty well, but took my long sleeved shirt off and promptly got bit four times by black flies.  Their bite leaves a small welt which itch like crazy.  These bites also seem to resist the power of Calamine lotion.

I had more energy for this like and was able to power through the flat sections.  The last mile is pretty steep, but we managed.  I'm slowly getting into better shape, but a little too slowly for my tastes.

We put my walkie-talkies to good use when I was trying to find the fire tower.  I'm scared of open heights, but went pretty far up the tower just to make myself do it.

Hiking stats:
Mileage: 7.57mi
Moving avg: 2.6mph
Moving time: 2:54
Overall avg: 1.7mph
Total ascent: 2206ft
Max elevation: 3891ft


The hike is a down and back:
It's pretty steep near the peak which misses out being a high peak by roughly 100ft:

Picture vomit:









This hike is the fifth I've done for my challenge.

No comments: