Sunday, June 19, 2011

Hiking Balsam Mountain

Yesterday I did my first hike of the year with the Hiking Mates Meetup group.  The loop is about 5.3 miles and is pretty easy.  There are a couple of steep sections, but rocks and roots were slippery so it was slow going in parts.  There were also a lot of black flies on top at the view point.

This mountain doesn't have a nice summit and we couldn't find a marker, but the GPS said we passed the summit so it counts.

Here is the loop recorded by my GPS as seen in Google Earth.  I think the closest town is Margaretville.
Here is the elevation profile:
I think the summit is officially 3602 feet or something like that.  It's definitely over 3500 so it counts towards the Catskill 3500.

No hiking update would be complete without some picture vomit:








I had a good time and it was great being outside, but the pace was a little slower than I like.  It's all good though.  More importantly, my knees feel just fine.

No comments: