Tuesday, June 14, 2011

West Coast vacation - June 2011

In early June, I flew back to the West Coast for a vacation.  The first weekend I went down to Black Butte with my brother and three of his friends.  My brother and I used to go there at least once a year when we were growing up, but I hadn't been back in years.  We ended up staying at a cabin one over from where we stayed the most as a kid so nostalgia kicked in pretty hard.

We spent the weekend eating, drinking, playing cards, watching TV, hitting golf and tennis balls.  It was straight up awesome and the weather cooperated.  I didn't have a bad meal there and unwound pretty well.

The following Monday I flew to Honolulu to stay with two friends of mine from college who married each other. They have two little kids so I got to get up early every morning, but it wasn't a big deal.  I hit the beach twice, saw Thor, watched hockey and basketball, hit up a museum, went hiking twice, ate good food and played some cards.  I also saw my friend's kid's aloha program at his pre-school.  Honolulu is like NYC in that every parent is worried their kids won't get into the right schools.  It's pretty crazy, but I guess I understand the logic.

Hawai'i was hot and humid, but I was able to survive and it was good to see my friends.

I came back on Friday and then was in Portland for my brother's wedding.  They are already legally married, but they had another ceremony so her family could come from Australia.  Her family is cool and I had a good time hanging out with them.  People really liked the toast I gave so I definitely contributed to the wedding in a positive way.

I flew back to Albany yesterday and got to spend an extra three hours in the Atlanta airport thanks to Delta's incompetence.  I'm not sure why anyone would want to fly these days.

Anyhow, I had an awesome vacation and I'm sorry it's over, but maybe that's just the jetlag talking.

The usual picture vomit:

No comments: