Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Fun at the dentist

I've got the time and I've still got health insurance so I thought my furlough would be a great time to get some dental work done. It wasn't anything all that major, but I needed to get some of my amalgam fillings replaced. Unfortunately, there was enough decay underneath two of them that I needed onlays. Fortunately, my dentist is up on the high tech stuff and has her own milling machine. It's pretty cool to watch it work and saves me a trip and also means I don't have to rock a temporary. Those suck because you have to be careful it doesn't pop out when you eat stuff or brush your teeth or whatever. The first onlay went in a couple of weeks ago and the second was done this morning. My dentist had trouble getting the software to make an onlay for the new tooth and not the previous one so I had to go back home with a temporary. Fortunately, the rep straightened her out and I was back this afternoon and am good to go. My mouth is definitely sore and tired of having dental equipment jammed in it. Sometimes I think my dentist is trying to see how much stuff will fit before she asks me a question. All I can do is mumble something incoherent. I still need two more fillings replaced, but they aren't urgent and won't require onlays. Sweet.

You might think that I eat a lot of sweet stuff and don't brush or floss, but it's not true. I just have bad enamel and it runs in the family. Pretty weak, but I've been taking good care of my teeth now and haven't had a cavity in years.

No comments: