Monday, August 17, 2009

Kayaking on the North Hudson

It was a great day out on Saturday so a few of us from the hiking group went kayaking on the North Hudson (?) in Warrensburg in the Adirondacks.  We rented kayaks from Beaver Brook Outfitters right on the river and paddled down 14 miles to the take-off point.  It took us just a little over four hours and we had time to stop for lunch on an island along the way.

Here are some pictures from the island:
 
  
  
I had planned to take pictures while I was kayaking and maybe a video or two, but my cameras were in a dry bag in my backpack in the storage compartment of my Pungo Wilderness kayak.  
The current wasn't that strong so we had to paddle for most of the way and I got stuck twice and had to get out to walk my kayak off the bottom.
The only bad part was getting a blister on my left thumb five fricking minutes into paddling.  How does that make sense?  I can understand one at the end of the day, but in the beginning?  It meant that I couldn't grip the paddle properly so my left arm got a little sore.  I've got a hydrocolloidal bandage on it so at least I don't wince every time I pick something up since I'm left-handed.
I will definitely go kayaking again, but I'll get some kayking gloves for sure.  I'd like to buy a kayak, but that'll have to wait until I get my work truck which will wait until I get some money.  Who knows when that'll be?

No comments: