Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Montreal trip

Over Memorial Day weekend, I drove up to Montreal.  I had a great time walking around the town, eating good food and visiting some museums on free museum day.  I was able to walk to just about every place I visited.

Specifically, I had lunch in old Montreal at some restaurant and then hit up the Botanical Gardens.  Not much was in bloom, but it was good to walk around after sitting in the car for six hours.  The trip should've taken just four hours, but there was a wait to cross the border.  Dinner was at the awesome Aix Cuisine du Terroir. I can't emphasis how cool this place was.  The food was excellent and reasonably priced.  I had wild boar ribs and foie gras.

The next day, breakfast was at Eggspectation, which has a cheesy name, but good food.  The wait was a little long and the service a bit slow, but I wasn't too chuffed given it was Sunday brunch.  After brunch, I hit up the Museum of Fine Arts and the Biosphere.  Dinner was at the Boris Bistro, another great place which was recommended by the hotel manager.  There I had venison sausage.  It wasn't quite as good as Aix Cuisine, but was still great.

Breakfast on Memorial Day was a forgettable omelette at a cafe attached to the hotel.  Then it was off to the Biodome and then lunch at a chain bakery, the Premiere Moisson.  I had chicken legs and quinoa.  Holy moly.  Albany definitely needs a bakery like that one.

The drive home was uneventful and US customs was easy to pass through.

Everyone in Montreal speaks French first and English second so I got to practice my rusty French.  I definitely recommend visiting, but make sure to bring/get some Canadian cash since you can't use your credit or debit cards for everything.

I polished off one museum and five restaurants towards my challenge.  I'm not going to count breakfast at the hotel restaurant because it sucked.

Picture vomit:
At the Botanical Gardens:

 Museum of Fine Arts:

 Biosphere:


 Habitat 67:
 Biodome:






No comments: