Monday, June 7, 2010

Road trip: Day 5

I got up early this morning to say goodbye to my friends since they both work.  I left Chicagoland around 8 my time and made it to Lexington around 3 with just one stop for gas and lunch (peanut butter and jam sandwich):




Yeah, I did get BP gas when I was going to boycott them for the mess in the Gulf.  However, I was running low on gas and was really effin' hungry.  I'll try to avoid them going forward.

I'm staying at another Motel 6, but I think I might make this one my last one.  It's crappier than the ones out West and I had to wait twenty minutes before I could get in because the cleaning lady was still cleaning.  It is what I need, but I think I make enough to afford something nicer than a $40 room.  The door isn't hung properly so it lets in a lot of outside air and light.  I have to pay for wireless as well and they give you an access card.  I was stupid and used the code for my netbook instead of my work computer so I'm only able to surf the web.  I am on vacation, but I'd like to do some work.

After unloading my stuff, I took a quick swim, did my pushups and took a shower.  I finished off a book, surfed the internet and arranged to meet up with my cousin in the DC area.  I can stay with his family and his parents, my aunt and uncle, will be in town that night so I'll get to see them as well.  It'll save me a night in a motel which is always nice.  One of our other cousins is at Quantico so we'll try to rustle him up.

I got hungry and asked the front desk for a recommendation for a local place.  She didn't understand why I wouldn't want to eat at a chain restaurant so I chose some fairly randomly from my GPS.  Two were closed so I ended up at A La Lucie which ended up being a great choice.  I was pretty hungry so I had a Kentucky Ale, some bread, fried oysters with mustard sauce, salad, rabbit and creme brulee.  The rabbit was local and very tasty though it had a lot of small bones.  The creme brulee was just ok so I should've passed on it.  I'd give the place a solid 4 stars out of 5.   

Lexington is an interesting town.  I drove through some poor parts, but the downtown is nice.  I was going to drive through UK's campus, but apparently, there is a lot of construction there so the waitress said it wouldn't be worth it.  I did see a lot of people riding motorcycles without helmets.

I'm pretty beat for no particular reason so I'll read for a bit and then hit the hay early.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Hmmm...I actually slept pretty well here. The place is full, but was quiet last night. I guess I need to revise my opinion.