Saturday, April 23, 2011

After one week on Phase I

It's been a week since I went on the restrictive Phase I of the South Beach Diet.  I lost 2lbs and my scale tells me they're both fat so that's good.  The sugar cravings were pretty strong for the first few days, but they've mostly gone away.  I still get hungry, but it's not quite the same thing.

The biggest problem for me with this diet is not the sugar cravings, but the lack of variety.  I can't have any fruit nor bread products and even my selection of vegetables is limited.  I ate a lot of salad this week which is healthful, but not that exciting.  I'll make a couple of dishes using recipes from the book so hopefully next week will have more variety.  I'm also going to heat up a ham since tomorrow's Easter, but I'm pretty sure I'll get sick of ham after a couple of days so I'll freeze some of it for later.

My exercise regime is going well, but I still feel a little soft around the middle.  My legs and shoulders are as strong as ever, but I really need to work on my core strength.  I think hiking, biking and track work will help once the weather improves.  I'm also thinking about taking a boxing class and maybe some yoga.  They'll help my fitness and will give me something to do after work so it's win-win.

No comments: