Sunday, April 3, 2011

Weekend recap

Yeah, I know it seems strange to recap the weekend Sunday morning, but I have the energy now and I know that not much is going for the rest of today.

I left work a bit early Friday afternoon to drive out to Shelburne Falls, MA to have dinner at the Gypsy Apple.  The drive was pretty nice, but a bit windy.  The restaurant had some pretty tasty grub; I got the Spanish pork chop and it was one of the best I've ever had.

Here's a shot of the small village of Shelburne Falls:
After dinner, I went candlepin bowling which was definitely a new experience for me.  I did alright and even got close to 100.

The drive back was a little hairy because it was snowing in the Berkshires and the roads in NY were a little iffy.

Yesterday my friend Chris drove up with his dog Oscar and we hit up a homebrew store in Rensselaer since Chris and a friend are interested in getting started.  It seems pretty straightforward so I might give it a shot as well once I get my finances under control.  I like to drink beer and I like to make stuff.

After the homebrew store, we went over to the Times Union Center to watch the Albany Devils take on the Charlotte Checkers who used to be the Albany River Rats.  We ate some crap stadium food before, but weren't there early enough to get a bobblehead.  The first period was a little boring, but the second and third were pretty exciting so I think I'll go more often next season.

Here's a view from my seat:
Too many penalties did Albany in and they lost a close one, close because the last goal came after Albany pulled its goalie in the final minute:
We came back and I watched the second half of the UConn-Kentucky game.  Chris watched a little, but he and Oscar hit the hay early.

Here's Oscar:
He's pretty funny and he definitely reminds me of my parents' dog, Toby.  He was pretty excited to explore my house and really liked exploring my backyard.  You can see his nails are really long.

I've been thinking about getting a dog or two and maybe some cats since I have a lot of space, but taking care of animals is a lot of work and I'm not sure for how long I'll be here.  I'll know more this fall.  I could get a wireless pet fence and put a pet door in the garage for the winter.  I'd probably get one smaller dog and one medium sized dog.  I'm not sure what kind of critters are out and about in my yard though, but I'm not that far out in the sticks so it should be ok.  They could certainly give the squirrels a workout.

The rest of today will be spent resting and recovering.  I'll do some laundry and make some tacos.

No comments: