Sunday, September 21, 2008

Happiness

A Livejournal friend recently posted a question about what we do to get through this life. Her implied question is what do we do to be happy. It's an important one because I don't believe there is any real purpose to our existence. We're just like everything else on Earth except we're probably a bit more self-aware than most other animals. I don't believe in a higher power so I don't think anyone or anything put us here. Since we don't have a real purpose we might as well be happy. 2008 has been a year of introspection for me and I think I've now got a better sense of who I am and how I can be happy.

The real tipping point for me came when I decided not to worry as much. Worry was leading to anxiety which led to impatience which led to nothing good. Some of you may find it hard to believe, but I hardly ever worry now and I'm much happier for it. I've been getting out and about more because I don't worry about what other people think or what might happen. I go into these friendly encounters or social situations with no expectations. I've been just trying to have fun by being myself. I don't try to be the funniest dude or the smartest or whatever. If people don't like me, then too bad for them. I'm not going to sweat it because I'm sure there are people out there who do or will like me. Those are the people that I want to meet. I'm not going to waste time trying to force a square peg into a round hole. As a consequence, I'm much more relaxed and that makes me an easier person to be around. If people aren't comfortable around you then they aren't going to want to spend any time with you.

What else helps is that I no longer expect anything from my activities. I go in with an open mind and whatever happens, happens. It's not fatalistic because our life is defined by our choices, but we can't control other people or their actions.

I think getting into better shape has helped as well. Exercise releases a lot of endorphins.

I think this line sums it up for me: The key to happiness is to be satisfied with what happens when you give it your best shot.

4 comments:

irishkimchee said...

I agree with what you just wrote and am glad that you have found your happiness. I have been saying all along that you should always be yourself. Nothing more. Nothing less. It's the quirks in a person's character that really adds flavor to life. I know I have my fair share. Can you imagine how dull life would be if we were all the same? We haven't been friends for very long, but I see that you are wonderful, and if someone can't see that...well, that's not your problem.

postyum said...

This is a good post -- I need to remind myself to read it when I am having one of my daily bouts of anxiety.

Unknown said...

Bro - I am flabbergasted at your insight (not that you would have this insight but that you now share it via this semi-personal forum). Hot damn, I am proud of you. I never knew you worried about what others thought to such a point that it led to anxiety and inhibition. You are a damn funny person with a big heart. Plus, being yourself draws the right people to you. If we are being "phony" and attract others into our sphere of existence, then they are seeing an inaccurate/false perception of who we really are. From that origin stems falsehood! Glad you are getting out and about. I look forward to beating you in pool when you pimp out your front room!

Jeremy said...

Tru dat.

I should also add this to the post: The key to happiness is to be satisfied with what happens if you give it your best shot.