Monday, February 9, 2009

Coraline

The weather wasn't all that great yesterday, but I needed to get out of my apartment so I went and saw Coraline. I'm glad that I did because it was well-done, but I forgot that it's better to pick a time when there won't be as many little kids. 4:30 in the afternoon on a Sunday is definitely not that time.

The movie was shot in 3D and your ticket cost a bit more so that you could get some cool 3D glasses. The 3D effects were great. There is one scene where some birds are flying around and they look to be right in your face. I saw a couple of kids reach out and try to grab them. The animation is stop-motion which means they position the puppets. Take a shot, move them a little bit and shoot again. The motion is pretty smooth and is what was used for The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride.

Coraline is a children's book written by Neil Gaiman and you might think it's too dark, but that's just by our watered down Disney standards where nothing bad truly happens.

All and all, I highly recommend Coraline, but more for the animation than the story.

No comments: