Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Crockpot fun

My friends in San Diego have a crockpot so I thought I'd get one too because you just put a bunch of stuff in it, turn it on and come back in a few hours.

Below is a picture of a stuffed green pepper. It is vegetarian and pretty damn tasty:
4 medium to large green bell peppers, with tops and cores removed [any bell pepper will work]
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 c shredded jalapeno jack cheese
3/4 c salsa
1/2 c frozen corn
1/2 c chopped green onions
1/3 c uncooked rice
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Combine all ingredients (not the peppers of course) in a bowl. Spoon filling evenly into each pepper. Place in crockpot and put the lid on. Cook on low 4-6 hours.


The dish below is chicken thigh stewed in salsa. You put a layer of salsa down, then the chicken (breast or thigh) and then cover with more salsa and cook on low for 4-6 hours. It was pretty good, but a little watery and didn't have a strong flavor. You would use this chicken as filling for burritos, tacos or whatever. I used only medium salsa and think I might try hot next time and maybe add some peppers and onions.


You can also slow roast food in a crockpot so I'll have to try that out sometime. It was one of the few kitchen gadgets that I did not own and only cost me $10 since I had a gift certificate to Amazon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What brand did you get? How is it? I've always wanted one of those fancy French ones (le Creuset?) but could never justify the pricetag..now I've moved into a place with a bigger kitchen, I'm kinda feeling like I should really get a pot with a thicker bottom. Right now all I have is a thin non-stick soup pot from IKEA. :/

Jeremy said...

I got this one by Rival: http://www.amazon.com/Rival-SCR450-W-Round-Cooker-White/dp/B0009IZBWA/ref=sr_1_81?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1235520737&sr=1-81.

I don't see any reason to get a fancy French one. Ah. I know what you're talking about. Yeah, I used to have a stone crock pot, but it cracked when I moved out here. The one I linked above is standalone.