Monday, February 23, 2009

Unemployment plan

No, I don't plan to be unemployed, but I am so I need to figure out how to fix the situation while maintaining my sanity.

Here is what I have so far:
  • Make a daily schedule. It sounds like overkill, but it's what my dad recommended and he was out of work for a while. If you don't have a plan for each day, then you'll do nothing and just laze around.
  • Get out of the house at least once a day. Getting out and about will force me to keep a good schedule, stay clean and should help alleviate the depression.
  • Exercise often. Exercising will also stave off the depression and, if I ride my bike a lot, will also help me get out of my apartment.
  • Apply for at least three jobs a week. I need to use the shotgun approach at this time.
  • Cut all unnecessary expenses. Is Netflix necessary? Not really, but it isn't that expensive and will give me something to do. I might cancel my TV service. It's less than $15/month (just gives me access to local channels) and isn't necessary now that football season is over. I won't be able to go out to eat much and I'll have to cut back on snacks.
  • Find a new place to live. I can stretch out my remaining cash if I can cut back on my biggest expense - rent. I'm a bit picky about where I live though since I need more quiet than most people. I might have to sacrifice noise for reduced rent.
Nothing on this list sounds like much fun except for the exercise, but it's all necessary. I was out of work for about three months at the end of 2006 when I was looking for a job out here, but my rent was much less. I do remember the frustration and depression though and I'd like to avoid those feelings this time around.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear the bad news. It sounds like you're taking it better than most, and have an action plan. Good luck with the job hunt. Are you planning to look only in the US, or would something in Asia tempt you?

Jeremy said...

I prefer to work in the US, but at this point I would be willing to work in Asia.

Heh. I'd have to get my passport renewed though.

Y said...

You can teach English in Asia.