Thursday, August 6, 2009

Gasoline Run-off: Hess

I like challenges so I decided to battle off some of the local gasoline companies to see which would give my 2007 Mazda 3 (2.3 liter) car the best mileage.  I record the results for every tank I put in, but I'll only count the ones that are after a buffer tank so that I don't contaminate the results.

I had three Hess 87 octane fill-ups - I drove 1039.0 miles on 33.315 gallons which gives me 31.2 mpg.  My car is EPA rated ~ 32 mpg for highway and ~ 25 mpg for city.  Most of my driving is out in the sticks or on the freeway so 31.2 mpg sounds about right.

I'm now on my buffer tank of Sunoco 87.  After three more tanks of Sunoco, I'll try Mobil and then Shell if I can find one around here.  I haven't seen any Chevrons and I'm not going to mess around with no-name gas.

No comments: