Monday, August 3, 2009

Painting weekend

I spent the weekend painting the home theater section of my finished basement. Below you can see what it looked like before.
The back wall is wallpaper that had to be steamed off so that I could repaint. I got some VOC-free Natura paint from Benjamin Moore. I painted two walls "polo blue" and another wall "trout gray." I wanted something dark where the home theater screen is going, but not too dark or it would feel cramped.
Here is the after picture:
I left the painting supplies out for when I put up the wood to support the screen. The gray wall looks great, but the back wall looks just ok because the drywall wasn't smooth underneath the wallpaper. Hopefully it's still structurally sound.

I've used Natura paint before and it's great. It's more expensive than a lot of paint, but it's worth it. No VOC's means it doesn't smell and it goes on smoothly and evenly. I highly recommend using it. If you're going to do something, you might as well do it right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks great!! So much better than that godawful wall paper.

Jeremy said...

Thanks.

The ivy wallpaper is pretty funky. Of course, it might've been in style when the house was built in 1991, but who knows?

It'll look even better with the home theater screen. I'll put that up in two weekends.