Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Trip to Chicago, IL

My good friends that I met in grad school finally moved back to the Chicago area where they both grew up. Chicago is only a 2 hour flight from Albany so I flew out early Friday afternoon and came back on Sunday night. I had a great time and wish I could have stayed longer.

On Friday, we went from the airport to a pizza place to get some authentic Chicago pizza. I was pretty hungry so I would've eaten just about anything, but I think it was good anyhow. After that, we drove to US Cellular Field to catch the White Sox vs Cleveland. The White Sox lost 6-2 even though Buehrle was pitching. He didn't have his best stuff and gave up two homers to Cleveland's AA chump catcher, Kelly Shoppach. We still had a good time though.

Here is a picture of me, my friend's oldest son and my friend:
I had to borrow their Sox jacket because I was too stupid to pack properly.

I took some short videos during the game and of the fireworks afterwards:

On Saturday, we hit the pool at Centennial Beach. It's a man-made pool with a lot of sand in downtown Naperville where my friends live. The weather wasn't great, but it was still fun. Their friends from Albuquerque flew in that afternoon and we had barbecued pork ribs for dinner. Sweet.

On Sunday, we hit Centennial Beach again because it was hot and humid. After lunch, we drove to downtown Chicago to drive by Soldier Field (which looks like a spaceship having sex with the Library of Congress), Shedd Aquarium and other stuff along Lakeshore Drive. Lollapalooza was going on so we couldn't park near the lake. We drove to the Willis (formerly Sears) Tower and after some dickering shelled out for the fast pass to get our asses up to the Skydeck. The regular tickets had a two hour wait and I had to fly out in about that time.

You get a great view from up there and they even have these glass viewing boxes that stick out from the building. It's a bit freaky to stand in one, but I made myself do it.

Here are a ton of pictures I took from the Skydeck. The ones with the crowds are of Lollapalooza.

No comments: