Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I don't trust drug companies.

I went to the allergist's for my follow-up appointment this afternoon.  I'm no longer allergic to stuff, but I do have chronic sinusitis.  I asked for ways to get rid of the funk in my forehead and he suggested antibiotics.  The one he suggested is called Levaquin and is a fluorquinone.  He casually mentioned that there is a non-zero chance of Achilles tendon rupturing on this drug.  Wait...what?  I said ok, but then did some more research when I got back to work.  The drug is the heart of a class-action lawsuit claiming that the drug companies didn't properly notify people that there is a chance of some bad shit happening.  Other side effects include nausea and diarrhea, but also neurological problems, insomnia, the shakes, etc.  Hmmm...the worst part is you can get fucked up after just one pill and the symptoms might not present for a while after. 

My mom isn't a doctor, but she works at a hospital so I'll see what she thinks, but I'm leaning towards calling up my doctor tomorrow and either having him switch me to a different antibiotic or not doing the course at all.  I'd rather tough out mild sinus headaches than risk a ruptured Achilles or droopy eyelids.  He took this medicine earlier this summer, but I have bad luck with this kind of stuff and take my health very seriously.  Unfortunately, it's a broad-spectrum antibiotic that should be pretty effective.

My mom has had sinus trouble and got surgery to get polyps removed.  He couldn't see any polyps up my nose, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.  I wonder if I should see an ENT about surgery instead.  My doctor did warn me that my insurance company might insist on a course of antibiotics first.  Weak.  Why do we let insurance companies make medical decisions?  I'd almost rather just pay for all health care out of pocket.

No comments: