Monday, August 31, 2009

Misconception

I finally got around to taking pictures of my new house and made a PDF and sent it out to friends and family.  One of my cousins wrote back saying that I must really like Albany since I bought a house out here.  Heh.  The opposite is nearly true.  I bought a house here because I don't think I could stand it if I were living in an apartment surrounded by knuckleheads and white trash.  I don't like it here at all.  There are some nice people that I met through the hiking group, but I can tell that I can't live here for too long or I'll go crazy.  I pretty much dread going to work because it's a giant time suck.  I feel that I have a lot to offer, but no one's really asking.  Most people are slaves to arbitrary timelines that tell you to run a certain amount of lots in a certain time period.

I don't consider my house to be a financial anchor.  If I'm really hard up, I'll just walk away from it since I haven't put that much money into it.  I think the market will go up and I live in the best school district in the area so the house should be in demand if I need to sell it.  I figure that I'll work here another 2.5 years so that I've got about three years on my CV and then bail.  I'll keep the house and rent it out.

No comments: