Sunday, May 9, 2010

Fitness update

Yesterday, I weighed myself as usual and couldn't believe my body fat percentage clocked in at 21.0%.  It definitely beat my record by a couple of percentage points and was surprising since I was more active the past week, with riding my exercise bike, but not active enough to drop several pounds of fat.  I remeasured and got about the same.

I went to our company picnic in Wappingers Falls yesterday and ate a lot of food and played some softball.  I weighed myself again this morning and, as you can see, the weight didn't change much, but the body fat percentage did.  What do I believe?  Did I convert a few pounds of muscle into fat in one day?  Not likely which means my fat measurement is not accurate at all.  I figured it would be at least a good indicator of relative trends, but it seems like it's too variable for me to trust.  I read somewhere the measurement is pretty sensitive to humidity.  It was raining yesterday morning, but is dry today.

It doesn't really matter though because it's pretty easy for me to tell if I'm in shape or not.  I just need to look in the mirror or give myself the jiggle test.

No comments: