Sunday, May 23, 2010

Hiking Rooster Comb and Snow Mountain

Yesterday, I went for a hike with the Hiking Mates up Rooster Comb and Snow Mountain. We left from Clifton Park and got to the trailhead around 9. We didn't hike a particularly fast pace, but it was enough to get my heart racing. I'm out of shape and this hike proved it.

Here are some pictures from the top of Rooster Comb. Jason and Dylan getting in the way of my shot:
Keene Valley:
Nearby mountains:
Me throwing a gang sign:
We took the side trail over to Snow Mountain:
I didn't bring my camera to the better lookout spot, but you get the picture.

The weather was a little warm and humid, but not buggy so I was regretting my longsleeved, black Smartwool shirt. It kept me dry though since I sweated off a few pounds for sure.

I took my GPS along with me and here is our route superimposed over Google Earth:
Rooster Comb is the western most point and Snow Mountain is to the south. Near Rooster Comb we took a very short trail to another lookout point.

Total distance hiked was 6.4 miles with ~2200 ft of ascent. It was my first hike of the season and counts towards my challenge.

No comments: