Sunday, May 8, 2011

Garden work

Since it's still a really nice day, I went over to Lowe's to get some landscape fabric. My front yard is pretty much a wilderness. There were some paving stones that created a path from the driveway to the front door, but I never use the front door so the stones got absorbed. I decided to put down some landscape fabric to create a bigger and more obvious path. When I figure out exactly where I want it to go, I'll get some gravel to cover it.

Here's how far I got before I got hungry:
I got the professional 25 year stuff. It'll let air and moisture through, but no growth. You can see some stones from the base of the flag pole that used to be in the middle of the yard.

This fabric is pretty beefcake and I had to enlist a pocket knife to cut it.

While there, I saw a plant which looked cool so I made an impulse purchase. I got a Burkwood's Scotch Broom because I was looking for some ground cover for one corner of my front yard. Wow. I just read the description and it's considered an invasive species in the Western part of the US. Oh well. It can invade my yard all it wants as long as it doesn't mess with anything else I've planted.

Here it is after planting:
You can see my dandelion farm in the background.

I also took advantage of the warm weather to put some rebar in concrete to complete my raised plant bed:
I just poured the concrete dust into the cinderblocks and then added water because I don't have a bucket suitable for mixing. I'm sure it'll be alright and hopefully it will stay dry for a few days so the concrete can cure. I plan on planting some bell peppers here because this part of the yard gets a mess of sun.

I don't really want any grass in my front yard because it's too tough to maintain. I hope to plant some more fruit trees/bushes so I can get my eat on.

2 comments:

rly said...

I tried to leave a message when you first posted this but blogspot was down.

Keep posting on your garden!

Re: your question... if you google "Companion Planting", all sorts of info will come up. Most say the same things but some say different. I've been reading through them all and picking out the ones that are repeated most. Amazon also has books on it that I may purchase. Happy growing!

Jeremy said...

I had hoped to get some more garden work in, but we've been having a lot of rain.

I walked through my front yard this morning and it looks like I might actually get some apricots from the tree I planted last year. I'm pretty stoked and I'll need to keep an eye on them to get them before the birds do.

I'll have to check out companion planting. The library must have some of the books.