Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Grass work

Today after work I headed over to the high school to do an interval workout and to further acclimate to my barefoot running shoes.  A friend smartly suggested I should try running on something softer since the track isn't all that spongy.  My Never Gymless book recommended running on grass so I decided to do my workout between the goalposts on the field in the middle of the track.

I did 10 jumping jacks, sprinted to the other goal post and then walked back.  I think I sprinted for a little more than 100 meters, but the ratio was similar to my sprint the straights and then walk the curves routine.  As shown below, I was able to bang out six iterations with one walked iteration after the first four.  I only went about a mile, but had to stop because my lower back was starting to ache.  While the grass is much softer than the track, it's not as even so I put more stress on the stabilization muscles around my gut.  Heh.  It's all good though.

My max speed was only 15.8mph so I definitely can improve.  My right calf is a little sore, but it'll take many more miles before I'm used to these shoes since I need to undo years of "neglect."

I also tried to incorporate some of the lessons from Born to Run by running light and easy and driving my knees.  Heh.  Easier said than done, but it's always good to have something to work on.

I'm not too worried about the length of this workout since I'll go over there on Saturday, weather permitting.  Eventually these workouts will be part of a Never Gymless routine and will be combined with pushups, burpees, medicine ball slams and whatnot.

I'm well on my way to getting beefcake - I'm focused and determined and I will succeed.  There isn't a doubt in my mind.

No comments: