Saturday, February 20, 2010

Financial dumbassery

Many of you know I'm a financial dumbass. Well, it hit home this afternoon as I was filling out my taxes. Since I bought a house, I thought I'd get a significant fraction of the $8k tax credit. Unfortunately, my relocation bumped my income up enough to reduce the credit below $3k. Still sounds like good money eh? Heh. Well, it would be except I need to pay taxes on the same relocation so I actually paid less than I owed which cut into the credit. All of the preceding includes deducting mortgage insurance. I had switched my deductions to 10 last year to maximize cash. D'oh.

I shouldn't complain since I am still getting about $1.5k. I need to fix my roof and I've heard from people it could cost between $5 and 10k. I have jack shit saved up so I was counting on my tax refund plus any money from a settlement with Spansion. I got word yesterday, they've got roughly $11k per employee allocated, but I don't know about the lawyers' cut nor when I'd actually see the money.

Son of a gun.

No comments: