Sunday, August 22, 2010

Black-eyed pea fritters and miso soup

Dinner tonight was an eclectic mix of salad, a black-eyed pea fritter and miso soup.  I got the miso soup ingredients, hon-dashi and miso paste, at an Asian grocery store recommended by my Japanese colleague.  He's also the dude who found the recipe for me.

It turned out great, but I can't say the same for the fritters.  You're supposed to fry them up in balls in a big ol' pot of oil.  I wasted half the batter trying to use my deep fryer and a pot on the stove, but they wouldn't stay together.  If you check the ingredients, there isn't enough dry stuff to hold everything together so I formed what was left into patties and baked them.  The taste is good, but the recipe gets the bozack.  Maybe I'm just inept.

I think I got plenty of protein from this vegetarian meal which is always a good thing.  I'm not the biggest tofu fan, but I think I just need to try some more recipes.

I banged out two new recipes and am now up to 55 on my challenge.  Just 45 to go.

No comments: