Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Fitness update

I've been doing Phase I of the South Beach diet for one week now so I should report on my progress. As you can see from the charts, the progress is negligible. I have lost 0.2lbs of fat if you want to take things out past the decimal point. Gah.

This phase is supposed to help restore blood sugar levels to a healthy level. I guess I crave sugar a little bit less, but not by much. I'm also hungrier than I expected. My colleague says my hunger means I'm not eating enough ruffage, but a carbohydrate-light diet can be energy-light unless you can convince your body to dip into the fat reserves to get energy. My bigger problem is my knees prevent me from doing serious exercise so I'm only impacting the energy in part of the equation.
I've got my follow-up appointment next Monday so I'll find out if I need surgery or if any problems can heal on their own. My goal is to get everything squared away by the end of the year so I can start P90x. I expect that program to work pretty damn well providing I can stick to it. I hear it's pretty tough, but I need the challenge and I need something disruptive to de-chunkify since you can see a general trend upwards in the fat poundage chart.

After my road trip in June, I set a goal of losing ten pounds of fat. To date I'm about even. Crikey. June was a whole summer ago so I need to get more serious. I know I'm always talking about buckling down and getting to work, but I need to now. If I were healthier, I wouldn't have hurt my knees in the first place. Chunkin' out is always hard on the joints.

No comments: