Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Health update

I'm tired of being a chunkster so I started up Phase I of the South Beach Diet.  For the next two weeks, I'll cut back my sugar and simple carbohydrate intake to as little as possible.  I'll try to eat just low glycemic index vegetables to return my blood sugar levels to normal.  Today is day one and I'm doing ok though I'm a little hungry.  I did this diet in 2008 and remember being cranky and hungry for the first few days.  I'm in better shape now so hopefully it won't be too bad.

I finally saw an orthopaedist for my injured knees.  The office was packed, but I got seen.  At first the dude tried to blow off my problem as just irritated kneecaps, but then he actually listened to what I said and scheduled me for an MRI.  It's likely to be a torn meniscus with the original injury in college.  The x-rays showed plenty of cartilage between the bones so my knees aren't shot which is a good thing.  I have stability in the joints so it's not a ligament problem either.

Unfortunately, I can't see the ortho until the 20th so there'll be 11 days between the MRI and my follow-up appointment.  The good news is he'll have plenty of time to review the images.  I'm going to keep my fingers crossed, but I want to get my body right.

No comments: