Thursday, September 16, 2010

Vegetable quiche and vanilla ricotta

Tonight I made two Phase I dishes out of my South Beach book. For dinner, I made vegetable quiche which are crustless. Eggs help a mess of cheese, spinach and other vegetables form like Voltron. It turned out pretty well and was easy to make. I added a little milk, but I should've drained the spinach more.

For dessert, I made one of the simplest dishes ever: take 0.5C of ricotta and mix in 0.25t vanilla and one packet of sugar substitute like PureVia (a stevia product). Holy moly. It turned out really well and was more filling than anticipated. I think it helps if you use pure vanilla rather than the fake stuff.

Though these two recipes are pretty simple, they still count towards my challenge. I've now knocked 60 off. Just 40 more to go.

I've been doing better on Phase I starting yesterday and I crave sugar less than I have in a long time. I'm still looking forward to the end of the phase, but I might stick with it past the recommended two weeks to make sure my cravings are gone. I'm also worried I'm not eating as much as I should either. No matter how much I eat, I still get hungry later. I guess I need to eat more roughage, but I can only eat so much salad before I get sick of it.

I haven't lost as much weight as anticipated either, but this phase is more about reinforcing healthy eating than losing weight. The weight loss will come if I drastically reduce my sugar intake and eat more whole foods.

No comments: